Monday, March 24, 2014

Learning…a state of mind

At the end of this week, I was working with an Orthopedic Surgeon who is managing his partnership and wants to grow a business vs. develop a lifestyle practice.  On picking me up at the airport, I noticed he was still wearing scrubs.  I naturally asked if he was scheduled for surgery that day.  He explained that he was not scheduled.  However, one of his partners was scheduled and he had worked alongside his partner, till he had to leave for the airport.

I asked if it was an exceptionally difficult case and was told that it was not.  Finally, I asked an open ended question (leading questions can often result in “yes/no” answers and very little exchange of information), “Why were you working with your partner on a day set aside for his business coaching? The answer was terrific…. “Watching another exceptionally skilled professional means I am certain to learn something.” 

He went on to explain that doing the same thing over and over has produced a level of skill that allows him to use muscle memory.  When he works alongside another surgeon, it allows him to stay conscious, ask questions and notice differences.  Sometimes, the differences means he changes his style.  Sometimes, the differences provides a time for discussion or feedback. What was especially interesting, is that every time he takes the opportunity to observe or work with another surgeon he learns something.  Notice… there was no qualification there… that was “every time”. 

I immediately thought of the previous three days.  I was leading a group of CEOs on day one and observing on day two and participating on day three.  On each of those days, I learned.  I learn every month during these three CEO Retreats.  It is a foundational value for me.  Here was a guy who was being intentional about learning.  He made a choice to put himself in a learning zone as a part of his work week. 


So, how intentional are you about continuing to learn?  What amount of time do you set aside, or choose to use for your own learning? 

No comments:

Post a Comment