Monday, March 17, 2014

Are Employee Reviews Dead?

All those who really dislike employee reviews, please raise your hand.  What everyone?  Well not surprising.  Most of us hate doing things that show no purpose, progress or value.  For most of us, the employee review is just that, a waste of time.

These days, everyone wants their feedback immediately, no waiting.  That has produced some good movement in the halls of business.  Managers to CEOs spend more time observing, listening and coaching. 

With all the immediacy, is there any reason anymore to do employee reviews?  I am going to provide a qualified yes.  The qualification comes from how we must break away from form and focus on content. 

Recently, I was working with a client and, as a relatively new business owner, he was asking about employee reviews.  He is smart, earnest and does not want to waste time, his or his employees. Like me, at the beginning of my career, he wants to provide value and feels that employee reviews are important.  I listened and found myself thinking that I would not want to be in the review process at this company. 

We talked for a while about reviews and I came away with an unsettling question …. Why after several decades of managing people am I still unresolved about how and when to provide employee reviews.  Throughout my career I have shifted from feeling that employee reviews were a waste of time, to useful and back again to feeling that I can do better and employees can receive better if I scrap once or twice a year employee reviews.   

One of the major reasons Executives conduct employee reviews is to catalog and correct the past (what the employee did) and set guides for the future (what the employee will do six months from now. 

Unfortunately, both the future and the past are simply markers and don’t change or improve behaviors.  Over the years, I have come to believe that intention, focus and immediacy are more important than any other factors to influence/improve people.  Being a fairly simple guy, challenged by keeping too much in my head and I know that I learn better if I avoid taking on too much and I improve at what ever I am doing if I focus down to one or two skills/issues.  

So, I will be bold here and suggest that you do something different…. Come up with a clear issue on which you and the employee agree is the issue most in need of improvement and the strength most valuable to continue to improve.  The strength is usually not difficult to arrive at and doing so in a collaborative way with your report is likely to increase the success rate for achieving the improvement.

To determine on which issue your report should improve, obtain the feedback of three to five people (the peers, people reporting to your report and one person who is either outside your company (customer) or who is outside the employee’s department.  Complete a start, stop and continue questionnaire/interview (simply asking what the person completing the questionare/interview thinks Sam or Jane should start doing that they are not now doing; continue doing something that is liked/good and what should they stop doing)

Let the subject of the start stop and continue have a list of those issues, on one condition:  They have to choose one issue, from the list, on which they will improve.  Then they must meet with each of the people providing feedback; show them the list; tell them on which issue the report has chosen to work; and (this is key) ask each of those providing feedback to help she/he with the chosen issue for improvement. 

Your job then becomes:  adding one strategic/longer range point on which they work and coaching to make sure the report is a success around the chosen issue. 

Keep on walking around.  Keep providing immediate feedback.  Just focus yourself on making the feedback serve you and your employee.  Define and agree on what that focus will be and what will be the outcome.  Create measures.  Coach, teach and mentor to those defined issues and create consequences for the outcome(s).   


You may even find you aren’t dreading employee reviews anymore.  So, what do you do to make reviews more effective? 

No comments:

Post a Comment