Monday, April 21, 2014

What the science around creating Joy tells us about leadership

This year, I have committed to the following:  Each day, I am making at least three statements of gratitude, at least three times per week I am acting kindly toward someone(s). I am journaling that I have completed my commitments. 

Sounds pretty simple.  Yup.  It is pretty simple.  So, why do this and what do I think is my payoff?  Well, from the reading on what is now being called the science of joy, there should be an impact on how I show up, how I feel about those around me/my life and the results I achieve. 

I started this project on day one… first day of the year.  During this time, I have noticed that I have fewer negative thoughts.  I mean from how the weather affects me (I live in Seattle and that ought to say enough right there) to what I find my mind is doing (on what it is focusing) when I sit down and talk to someone. 

It is now March and this month, I have counted four different people, just this past week,  telling me something is different.  I have asked these unsolicited purveyors of feedback to tell me what they saw.  Each has said almost the same thing.  The components of their statements are:  you are more present; you are more relaxed and you appear happier. 

So, I am not a large enough universe on which to build a theory and I will tell you that my results are simply paralleling those of researchers who are testing by the thousands.  Let’s just say early indications continue and others are noticing and more are responding to the impact of my weekly gratitude statements, unexpected kind acts and journaling. 

Does this shift have any impact on running a company?  I think it does. 
How we show up creates the framework for which we do or don’t get things done.  The 12th Man, Seahawks fans, made Seattle a really difficult city to come to for other NFL teams.  The attitude of fans is, “We really can make a difference and have to do our part to disrupt and impact those visitors.”  Scientists are learning, as they explore human emotions and how we are wired, that the chemicals that turn on and off certain emotions, can impact and change an individual.  If one person shows up acting differently and their mindset is intentional, it is harder to throw them off balance.  This means that a CEO’s attitude can positively and negatively impact those around them and the art of leadership is getting some pretty strong guidance from the research being done. 

In the meantime, I am having more fun.  How about you? 




No comments:

Post a Comment