Monday, May 13, 2013

Know your customer’s “true” motivation



Today we have a guest blog from Andrew Ballard:

There is a difference between what your customers say their motivation is for buying your product, and what truly motivates their decision. Are you confident you know the difference? The wrong assumption can cost you sales.

Most buyers believe they employ a logical thought process in making purchasing decisions. This is true for both business and consumer segments. However, many studies demonstrate that most decisions are motivated by emotion not logic. That being said, most consumers still rationalize their purchases. Psychologists refer to this event as post-hoc rationalization.   

I know this to be true, professionally and personally. When I bought my last car (a sporty red Acura with a high performance engine and suspension…fastest car I’ve ever owned), it was purely an emotional decision. Of course, I tried to rationalize the purchase to my wife. On my way home from the dealership I called her. “I just bought a new car honey; it’s a pretty red Acura, gets 30 MPG and you’ll love the navigation system, I’m pulling in the driveway.”

As I set the parking break, I noticed Sandra standing in the front doorway; I waved enthusiastically; then I made the mistake of racing the engine…busted! She gave me the look—the kind of look a husband deserves after 20+ years of bliss—then rolled her eyes and went back inside the house.

So what does this revelation mean to your business?  It means you should focus more on your brand image and the emotional connections your market makes with your product. It means you should focus less on features and comparative data, and adjust your messaging accordingly.

If you are able to identify the “true” motivation for your customer’s buying decisions, and act on that knowledge, you will likely experience a significant increase in sales. At the very least, your customers won’t roll their eyes and walk away.

So I ask you, what is your current messaging strategy…is it rational or emotional?

How can you adjust your message to trigger the emotion that “truly” drives consumer behavior? 



ANDREW BALLARD


Andrew Ballard is the president of Marketing Solutions, a Seattle area agency that developsresearch-based growth strategies for small to midsize businesses.  He has over 30 years experience specializing in marketing research, strategic planning, brand development and revenue generation.  Ballard has helped hundreds of organizations (from startups through Fortune 500 companies) realize significant growth.

Andrew is a graduate of the Ford Marketing Institute and Certified in Six Sigma.  He is also a respected author and educator.  His articles on marketing strategy have been published in business journals through all 50 States.  His first book, entitled Your Opinion Doesn’t Matter, recently released to rave reviews in both corporate and academic circles.  In addition, he is adjunct faculty at the University of Washington.

 He can be reached at 425-337-1100 or www.mktg-solutions.com

No comments:

Post a Comment